Sipdown (170/176)

So it appears whatshesaid and I are both embarking on our Firefly journey alongside one another as we both drink Adagio’s character inspired teas!

We also both had this one tonight, though I think I had a very different experience with it than she did. I should note that I added milk to my mug of it because once I saw it had Strawberries in the blend I thought this would be awesome with milk!

For me, I picked up heavy notes of strawberries and cream as well as notes of chocolate although they were more background notes. The hibby in this was really hard to detect for me; not that I’m complaining. Something about hibiscus and chocolate just doesn’t sound right to me. Drastically different from whatshesaid (and apparently everyone else who has reviewed this) is that I got a lot of licorice taste in this! Huh. I’m wondering if maybe there was some flavour contamination? Although I can’t think what possibly from. I don’t know; I thought it tasted good with the weird licorice notes, anyway.

This seems like a good blend for Kaylee; I like how flavourful and fun it is. Plus, I’m only on episode four and already they’ve focused on Kaylee eating strawberries twice. This tea kinda reminded me of her ruffle-y pink and white dress too which kinda looked like a strawberry and cream layer cake.

Anyway, pressure’s on to finish the series because I told Tyrell that if I finish it by Sunday I’ll start watching Game of Thrones with him, and he seemed really excited about that.

Next up I think will be one of the Tams or Captain Mal? I don’t know; I guess we’ll see tomorrow night. Thanks again VariaTEA for the sample! I liked this one better than Inara.

Flavors: Cream, Licorice, Strawberry

VariaTEA

GAME OF THRONES IS AWESOME!!! You are getting to experience some great television :)

whatshesaid

Sounds like you enjoyed it! The milk was probably a good idea.
I like your comparison to her frilly silly layer cake dress, I just watched that one actually :)

Cavocorax

<3 Kaylee. And GoT! :D I hope you enjoy both shows!

Comments

VariaTEA

whatshesaid

Sounds like you enjoyed it! The milk was probably a good idea.

Cavocorax

<3 Kaylee. And GoT! :D I hope you enjoy both shows!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada