Sipdown (149/154)!

This is the first “Magical Potion” tea I’m trying from all the samples that Dexter sent me! I would have been with making any of them in the timolino today but this was the first I grabbed from my sample drawer in the kitchen so it was the one I went with.

I tried to keep the steep time short; my experience with some Adagio blacks is that they go bitter quite quickly. I think this got just shy of a four minute steep, and I think that may have been pushing it because taste wise there was some noticeable bitterness to this. I also picked up on caramel notes, although they were not as smooth as I would have liked for them to be. Thankfully, I didn’t really notice any of the spices in this except for maybe the cinnamon and a little cardamom. I’m not really a Chai fan so I certainly didn’t miss tasting them.

You know what I did miss? Pumpkin. You’d think that a tea named “Pumpkin Juice” or whatever would at least have a little Pumpkin flavour, but nope! I was disappointed about the absence of it. I felt lied to.

So this one isn’t really for me; but I still feel like it was a lot of fun trying it and I think it’ll be a lot of fun to continue to try the other Magical Potion blends. Maybe I’ll watch one of the movies and drink a few of the teas to accompany. That could be a fun thing to do!

Flavors: Caramel, Cinnamon

VariaTEA

I also missed out on the pumpkin in this blend, though I did get notes of pumpkin spice which I find many teas think are a suitable substitute.

Comments

VariaTEA

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually three(ish) years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC trained Tea Sommelier!

My Goal for The New Year (2017) is to make time for at least one long, proper Gong Fu session every week because it’s something I deeply enjoy doing but struggle to make time for…

My default for preparation is Western Style with zero additive. The exception to this is matcha which I drink in straight milk with no additives. So unless I mention otherwise you can assume that I’ve prepared my tea Western style without added ingredients/sweeteners.

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger/“Chai” in general, overly vegetal or marine, chamomile, sometimes mango or peach

Currently exploring/looking to try: Straight Pu’Erh or Dark/Roasted Oolong, Sweet Potato flavoured blends or straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, and anything with Goji berries

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Clay Pixiu Dragons: Zak & Wheezie
Clay Monkey: Enzo
Ruyao Carp: Splashy
Ceramic Rabbit: Rupert
Ceramic Horse: Bergamot

If you see me writing about sharing tea with any of them that’s what I’m talking about ;)

I also have two real life pets:

The URL to my tumblr blog is: guyfierithirdandfinalantichrist

Regina, SK, Canada