Sipdown (141/148)!

Thanks VariaTEA and by extension Amariel for the small sample. I have to say, I’m really not sure how I feel about this one though. Taste wise I’m getting some really weird stuff from it.

I definitely pick up on a vegetal roastyness characteristic of a Houjicha, but on top of that is a really intense metallic taste and zero caramel notes. I also really vaguely, under all the metallic taste, get a sort of coffee like flavour which I have seen a few people mention in tasting notes so maybe I’m not totally crazy.

But overall I’m not really enjoying this one.

Flavors: Coffee, Metallic, Roasted, Toasty

i still need to try this one… and also, i AM catching up to you..slowly!

VariaTEA

I didn’t get caramel either. I was hoping for much more than what I got with this :(

Roswell Strange

I’m running out of sample sizes to sipdown ;) Soon I’ll just have stuff in quantity.

Comments

i still need to try this one… and also, i AM catching up to you..slowly!

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually nearly two years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

Currently, I’m in the process of getting certified as a Tea Sommelier; if you’re interested in hearing more about that give me a shout because I’ve found the process to be really informative as well as quiet fun!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more that straight but one of my mini goals this year is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. Naturally I lean towards black or white blends and as of late oolongs but I WILL drink everything; the last half year or so I’ve been challenging myself by further exploring Oolong and Pu’Erh which are the tea types I know the least about overall.

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:

I’ve got four Tea Pets:

Two Pixiu Dragons named Zak and Wheezie, a monkey named Enzo, and a carp named Gyarados. If you see me writing about sharing tea with any of them that’s what I’m talking about ;)

I also have one real life pet:

A skinny pig hairless guinea pig named Eilert, after Henrik Ibsen’s play Hedda Gabler. He’s pretty chill, but a greedy little fella who’ll rip food right out of your hands. Sometimes he joins me for tea time even though he never gets to participate.

The URL to my tumblr blog is: guyfierithirdandfinalantichrist

Regina, SK, Canada