Well this is a sipdown of sorts, despite my cupboard number not changing at all. This mug used up the last of my old leaf, so now I just have the 70g I bought of the new formula/blend (although it’s very similar). It feels satisfying using the leaf up given how old it was, but part of me also feels like I’m losing out on something now that my long hoarded rations of this are all gone.

It’s ok; I still have more of this left – and it’s new and fresh! Someday I’ll likely have the same feelings about that tin worth.

I enjoyed this while eating pizza; I caved and ordered pizza for myself (it’s rainy out and I felt zero motivation to cook) and wings for Tre – my treat. Between the two of us we definitely have a problem though: there are nine old pizza boxes stacked up in the kitchen (we’d put them in the recycling bin like normal, but the landlord has totally filled it with stuff from his renovations) right now, and the two new ones from tonight in the fridge. I feel like I should be so, so ashamed of this. I am, a little. I feel like not enough…

Anyway, yeah; root beer tea and pizza. It’d be a good combo, except this last mug had the drags of the 50g bag I’ve been hoarding and was really cinnamon heavy. Still good! Just, really, really cinnamon heavy – and that tasted weird against my Feta/Pineapple pizza. Oh well.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cream, Root Beer, Vanilla

Cheri

There are times when we’ll have pizza boxes and carry out containers stacked like that. It happens. No shame.

Suziqzer

Feta and pineapple pizza… Not a combo we would see around here…Sounds interesting.

Comments

Cheri

Suziqzer

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada