drank Coconut Grove by DAVIDsTEA
1939 tasting notes

Where does the time go?

No really, where? It feels like it was 3PM and then I blinked and it was 8PM. What happened? Ugh.

Anyway, this cold brew was fantastic – but nothing significantly out of the usual so I don’t have much, if anything, to add. I’ve been toying with the idea of adding milk to a cold brewed version of this. Anyone done that? Thoughts? Maybe on just adding milk to cold brews in general? I’m pretty sure I’ve never added milk to cold brewed tea before…

mj

Could you just cold brew it in milk? Is that a thing?

Roswell Strange

That’s a good question. I don’t know…

OMGsrsly

I’ve cold brewed chai in almond milk before. Do it just like you would in water. :)

caile

I also was thinking today of what milk would be like in iced tea… I haven’t done it either, but I suppose I have drank tea with milk that has become cool from sitting which would be similar. I only have put milk in black tea though..
I’m sure this one would be tasty that way – you should give it a try.

caile

That cold brewed chai in almond milk sounds good!

OMGsrsly

Yeah, it was! One of the super cinnamony teavana ones, so it went really well. It was best after just a few hours though. I can see other teas needing more time for the flavours to come out.

Dexter

Cold steep chai really strong in WATER, and then added milk and sweetener to make iced chai latter – I’ve done the same thing with some coffee esqu teas (things like coffee mate and Davids coffee pu’erh) – iced coffee latte but tea. Cold steeped Special Dark with a touch of milk is FANTASTIC.
It’s your tea, if you think it would be good steeped IN milk, or drank with some milk added – I say go for it….

Comments

mj

Could you just cold brew it in milk? Is that a thing?

Roswell Strange

That’s a good question. I don’t know…

caile

I’m sure this one would be tasty that way – you should give it a try.

caile

That cold brewed chai in almond milk sounds good!

Dexter

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada