drank Jumpy Monkey by DAVIDsTEA

Just a little bit of backlog; I spent all Saturday out with my friend Kristina, and then yesterday I worked in the morning and promptly fell asleep when I got home so now, since I have the day off, it looks like it’s an appropriate time to log tasting notes. Man, it’s 9AM and it just feels so wrong that I’m wide awake. But that’s what I get for passing out on the couch at 8PM yesterday…

So lets get into my Saturday, shall we? Kristina was supposed to get in from Regina at 11:00 so I was going to meet her downtown at 11:30, but in order to get ready, shower and stuff and catch the bus in time I needed to get up at approx. 9:00 so that’s when I had my alarm set for. So I ended up waking up on my own thinking I was up before the alarm had gone off; I casually checked what my phone for the time and what time was it? 11:00. I fucked up. Apparently, I had my phone on vibrate so I wound up sleeping through the alarm. So I got ready stupidly fast; no time for showers or tea or really even like brushing my hair? And I had to take a taxi to meet her; even still I wound up being late. She was cool about it though. I guess she just knows me and what to expect, at this point…

We met up at DAVIDsTEA because it’s a good meeting place, and it’s close to the Bus Depot downtown; and Thank God we did ‘cause no tea in the morning or prepared To Go? That’s terrible! So, I met up with Kristina and we caught up on what was new with her life since moving back to Regina over a hot latte. I picked this one; mate is pretty well the only way to start off a busy day out.

This was pretty decent; you could really taste the coffee in it alongside the very roasty mate, which is sort of coffee like on its own too. There are so many different kinds of coffee beans in this though; and I am so vastly unknowledgable when it comes to coffee, so there’s no way I was able to pick up the differences between them all. I also was able to pick up on notes of vanilla and white chocolate among the creamy, frothy milk. Mmm! Man do I love lattes. I also feel like I very slightly tasted the chicory and some nuttiness, but mostly I think that was drowned by the milk.

But this definitely significantly jump started my day, which was the intent. And man, what a day it was! So much was packed into the day! It was fun though, and I look forward to elaborating in tasting notes to come!

EDIT: Should probably point out this was obviously with the new formula.

Hello! My name is Kelly, though many people in the tea community call me Ros or Roswell.

I am a twenty five year old proudly queer tea addict, blogger, and all around tea geek. I grew up in the Prairies, but a few years ago I relocated to Quebec to pursue a career with DAVIDsTEA in the tea industry! I’m still working on getting my French language skills down…

My first introduction to tea, in any form outside of instant and bottled iced tea, was about seven years ago when I happened to stumble upon DAVIDsTEA while looking for a birthday present for a friend! I tried their Birthday Cake rooibos blend, and I’ve been hooked on tea ever since! In those seven years; I was introduced to the online tea community, expanded my interest in flavoured teas to include a deep love and appreciation for straight teas and traditional brewing methods, got a tea themed tattoo, started reviewing teas, amassed a sizable tea and teaware collection, became a TAC certified Tea Sommelier, & even came full circle by beginning a career in the tea industry with DAVIDsTEA!

I consider myself a Jack of all Teas, and strive to have a knowledge and appreciation of all tea types, formats, and styles of drinking. I don’t like to feel boxed in to just being a “flavoured tea” or “straight tea” drinker – my expectations may vary depending on the type of tea or how it’s been processed/prepared but if it’s good tea, it’s good tea no matter how it’s been made!

You name it, I probably drink it- and I’ll absolutely try anything at least once.

My default method of preperation is hot, Western style, and straight – but I’m not opposed to additions if I’m in the right mood. If I ever add something to a tea or use a different method of preparation I will ALWAYS call it out in the tasting note though.

I like to listen to music when drinking tea, especially when I’m brewing a large pot at a time or steeping Gongfu. Often I curate very intentional tea and music pairings, and sometimes I share them here in my tasting reviews. Music is something that I find can deeply affect the experience of having tea.

Favourite flavour notes/ingredients: Pear, lychee, cranberry, cream, melon, pineapple, malt, roasty, petrichor, sweet potato, heady florals like rose, hazelnut or walnut, sesame, honey (in moderation), and very woody shou.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strongly spiced profiles (and most Chai in general), mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, stevia, saltiness or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Man: Leopold
Brass Mouse: Stilton

Please contact me at the instagram account listed below if you would like me to review your teas.

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA