On my never ending quest to find the best tea that hails from the yunnan region I’ve given this remarkable tea a shot. The tea leaves themselves are quite beautiful, a fair amount of gold for not being a gold tea, they are also fairly large and as such they tend to twist when dried. As has been stated this is a very neat tea to watch as it steeps, the leaves graceful unfurl and untwist and seem to dance about in the beautiful amber liquor. The fragrance of the tea made my heart palpitate and I could tell I was in for a treat.

The best way I can describe this tea is like a good strong dark beer. It just tastes right and feels comfortable like you’ve known each other your whole life, yet it is best served as a treat rather than a staple. This yunnan has a wonderfully earthy taste and the pepper is surprisingly strong, and in a region known for smooth teas this is one of the smoothest even with the pepper accent. That is due to its malty nature. Without a doubt this is the maltiest dianhong’s I’ve ever encountered, and can become a bit overbearing after a cup or two.

Like an overbearing mother, this tea is best in moderation.

While overall this is a nice tea, it is not an accurate representation of a dianhong nor is this the end of my quest.

Doug F

I’ve found some fabulous teas from yunnansourcing.com Have you tried them yet?

The Seattle Tea Snob

Yeah I try to order an overseas order every 3-4 months, and they are one vendor I’ve had success with. I drinking a very nice aged wild arbor dian hong at the moment that came from them, I have some golden curls from them too but they need to be aged a few years, still to harsh. Their pu collection is quite vast, not all fantastic stuff but they do have some pretty decent cakes.

Comments

Doug F

I’ve found some fabulous teas from yunnansourcing.com Have you tried them yet?

The Seattle Tea Snob

I like tea.

Oh you mean you want to know more, demanding little sucker aren’t you?

I’ve been drinking tea since 2003, quickly became obsessed by it and now it consumes far more of my life then I’ll ever admit. If you haven’t already noticed I like to write and love friendly debates and discussions, that’s how we learn. It just so happens that I think my way is the best and I’m always right. :) At the same time I am very happy to be proven wrong because that just means that I’ve learned something new.

Disclaimer: Despite very strong evidence to the contrary I don’t mean to offend. I do however speak my mind quite unabashedly and I hope you do the same. However if you decide that your bound and determined to take offense to what I write anyways perhaps I can direct you to your mommy.

Follow me on twitter to find out when I update my blog and hear about tea related shenanigans.

Seattle, WA