Ruby Red Chai (Spiced Rooibos) by Trader Joe’s

I decided to try this Spiced Rooibos as a true Chai recipe. I mean to have it with non-dairy product like milk. I had purchased some Rice Dream, a Trader Joe’s brand to practice making different Chai recipes. Today, I used two tea bags, a small cup of the Rice Dream and a ½ of small cup of water. I pour the water in small pan and placed the two tea bags into the pan, waited for it to come to boil, I added the non-dairy Rice Dream and stirred mixing the flavors and soy together. It smelled wonderfully sweet. I smell more of the cinnamon and cardamom; it seems adding the Rice Dream brings out the other flavors more than without it. Since I can now discern the ginger and the cloves—making it somewhat licorice in taste.

I think just one tea bag and a small cup of Rice Dream cooked for 3 minutes or until slightly boiling would have sufficed and adding the water is for more tea or to not have it be too thick.

I cannot drink too much of this since my stomach is so sensitive; but I truly believe that Chais are meant to be drunk hot and with milk or soy or some similar non-dairy drink; it needs some thick cream; for the texturing and to make the tea’s liquor to have a character that is a fuller brew and quality.