**A review of English Earl Grey Tea (Extra Bergamot TE11S) by Upton Tea Imports

This tea is described as being specially blended for those who prefer a richly scented Earl Grey. And this Upton’s most popular Earl Grey and rated “best overall” by Wall Street Journal’s Catalog Critic.

Steeping suggestion:
I placed 2 ¼ g/cup of the leaves into a cup and pour the boiling water in the cup and left to steep for four minutes.
This tea brews a very darkly red color, almost black even. It smells of malt and of citrus (bergamot oil) is very noticeable, in fact too much for me. It is like when you have peeled four or five oranges and placed the skins in a bowl and the air permeates with the smell. It is not a bad smell but drinking this is most noticeable.

It is pungent in smell and taste and it makes me want to add more water to dilute it. As this was a good thought since with the 2nd and 3rd infusion and steeping time for four minutes each time the overall flavor become more tolerable for this tea drinker who takes her tea plain mostly.

I think the extra in the bergamot makes for a bad cup of tea. I should not be thinking to add more water to dilute tea. This makes no sense. The only good that came out of drinking this tea is that I can finally discern the citrus of the bergamot oil, yes it smells of orange peels, a bucket full.
Overall taste: tea is too pungent, to strong, to explosive in the notes placed before you in the cup of tea.

Extra makes me think of that phrase: “too much of a good thing” and this is true in that the off taste cannot be remedied.

I am sorry.

Azzrian

Makes sense though – over kill does not work!

seule771

I am refraining from this one for the time being.