A review of Roasted Barley Tea by Nishimoto Trading Co., LTD

I woke up today wanting a cup of something strong, and with caffeine perhaps even though I do not like caffeine. My frame of mind, wanted something similarly to coffee and this tea seems fitting.

I took out one tea pouch and put some water to boil. Once fully boil, I place the tea pouch in my mug and pour the boiling water to it. The smell is always headily of smoke; wood burning or an ashtray with cigarettes in it. I don’t mean to be mean. But it does make me think of these things.

I wait a few minutes for tea to cool since it was very hot. The tea’s color is black, very dark with a smoky and woodsy aroma which fills my nostrils. When I finally take a sip it is always the kukicha tea that is meeting my palette, tasting like roasted chestnut but more burnt and crunchy like.

I am reminded once again to make the tea as a full pot and leave to cool for room temperature and then having it chilled with ice. This is much nicer and sedately milder for this taste bud.

I am saying this tea is good for serving as iced tea. Nicely chilled and the drying effect as one swallows the tea is very noticeable.