A review of Bai Mu Dan Tea by Canton Tea Co. in Bristol, UK

This is left over tea from last year’s Steepster Select pack that I had received and I am very surprised to find that I had some left.

Date: 08/26/2012
Company: Canton Tea Co.
Tea Name: Bai Mu Dan
Tea Type/Varietal: White
Region: Fuding, China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup / one spoonful of tea leaves
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: Yellow, very light orange
Leaf Characteristics: small leaves finely cut

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
I use one tablespoon of tea leaves and once the water starts to boil; about 180 Fahrenheit I turn the water off and pour some of it into my cup. I leave it to steep for two minutes.
After the steep time of two minutes I remove the saucer covering my tea cup and try to take in the tea’s color and aroma. It is a lovely golden yellow color with a very soft smell, sweetly but not quite.

Tea’s scent makes me think of nectar or peach and not at all ripened. Just hints of this and when I take a sip it is to find a delicate and fruity flavor with each sip I take. I think overall tea tastes more like it is fruited or scented with nectarine and it is quite nice.

2nd Steeping
I decided to make more of this tea for the day and use more water with cooler water (160 Fahrenheit) and left to steep longer for a few minutes.
The tea leaves are fuller, damp and wet and smell of leafy greens veggies. The leaves are green.

I remove the tea leaves and put them in the saucer next to my cup. I let the tea sit to cool and take another cup and I pour some of the tea from the pan and into my cup. It is a faint yellow color and the aroma is still fruit like and when sipping tea I find this brew to be very smooth with a light drying effect to the back of the throat when swallowed. Overall, first steep with hotter water weakens the tea somehow, it seems to taste better with the cooler temperature which brings about the tea’s truer character: a cup of nectar or melon dew like tea.
This is a very fine cup of tea; so mild and sweet to make you want more of it.