A review of Pu-erh Loose Tea by Stash Tea Company
This is another tea I found buried in my cupboard while cleaning it out. I am happy to have another tasting of this pu-erh.

Date: 08/27/2012
Company: Stash Tea Company
Tea Name: Pu-erh Loose Tea
Tea Type/Varietal: Black /
Region: China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup / one teaspoon
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: Red
Leaf Characteristics: Tea leaves are dry and very fine and darken/ashen color. After boiling/steeping in water the tea leaves are wet and still very dark; they don’t unfold that much and they are soft and moist and not bitter when tasted.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 212 Fahrenheit
Time: 4:30 p.m.

Note: I take one teaspoon of the remaining tea leaves and having brought the water to a boil I let the teas steep in a mug for a few minutes. I scoop out some of the tea leaves and strain the tea into another cup all the while admiring the red liquor.

Tea is earthy in taste; like moisten earth and smell of moisture. It is best describe of tea pouch bag from Stash: This tea has a slightly earthy taste.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 212 Fahrenheit
Time: 5:00 p.m.

Notes: Tea is steep longer and with hotter water using the same leaves from previous steep. The tea color remains red with that moisten earthy smell and is not as strong as with the shorter steep. The tea leaves remain their dark color and does not unfold any more than they had already. They seem damp and sticking to other leaves.

I continue to enjoy this pu-erh late into the day and the teas color does lighten each time, down to pale yellow and taste very mildly of earth with remnants of moisture.

When I had this tea several months earlier, I did not appreciate it since it seems to lack depth; I remember thinking it was blah and boring. With my Tea Notes from Bon Teavant, this forces me to rethink and examine the tea more and with that I find that this pu-erh taste as it should have and nothing more or less.

The Tea Notes are a bit difficult for me and I realize some major errors that I have been making as a tea taster and at times mixing up Celsius and Fahrenheit without the realization since there is none to correct me; so I go stumbling blindly until something like the Tea Notes comes along. I need to add that I don’t always read things through, another fallacy on my part.

Do forgive my errors and happy teas!

gmathis

Don’t worry—this a forgiving bunch! (And our Canadian Steepsters post temps in Celsius all the time.)

Pu-erh is an acquired taste. I’m still acquiring it, too.