A review of Orange Pekoe and Pekoe Black Tea by Price Chopper

Date: 09/03/2012
Company: Price Chopper
Tea Name: Orange Pekoe and Pekoe Black Tea (Decaffeinated)
Tea Type/Varietal: Black
Region:
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup / one tea bag
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: Bright orange/amber
Leaf Characteristics: teas are all individually bagged with strings, one can smell of the leaves and roasting as it makes me think of coffee flakes somewhat. It is strongly in odor (dried in the box) prior to brewing. When brewed, the raw smell becomes milder but still of smelling of roastedness.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 10:00 AM

Note: Using one tea bag into my preheated tea cup, I pour fresh boiling water over the tea bag and left to steep for nearly five minutes. I like the tea’s color which is brightly orange and smell of roasted leaves. This smell is consistent with the dry tea bags in the box of tea as well. Some of the tea is found around the tea box and one can smell of the leaves, smelling of roasted acorn like but it is leaf.

I did not mean to purchase this tea (decaffeinated) or more Orange Pekoe tea; I actually thought I was purchasing a store brand green tea since the box is greenish in color and it was next to another brand of Pekoe tea so I took of each kind and when I got home noted the are both pekoe (different brands) so box are different and one is decaffeinated.

I am not sure that I can discern the difference is the decaf and not. Taste is malt like and roasted cup of black tea. I am having it plain and very hot and it seems very nice tea.

Nothing jumps out more other than the roastedness in the box upon opening it, one can definitely say this is tea. I have not experience this with other teas of the same tea type and name from another store.

2nd Steeping: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 11:00 AM

Note: I simply add more boiling water into my cup while using same tea bag throughout the morning. Color is still darkly orange and taste is smooth and roasted in smell; at times seeming like of a milder cup of coffee, very faintly because of the roasted smell that continues to be present in the cup.

It is unusual to me since decaffeinated means that something is removed, yet this tea seems more potent than most other orange pekoe. Weird?