A review of Roasted Barley Tea by Meiji

Region: Japan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup/ tea pouch
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: Golden amber
Leaf Characteristics: tea pouch smells very strongly of burnt wood, making one think of smoke prior to even immersing tea pouch in water for steeping. Once tea pouch is infused in the water the twigs do seem to appear more and the scent of smoke is still very potent. It is a roasted brew.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 10:00 AM

Note: Today, I decided to fix myself a jug of this Roasted Barley Tea that I had purchased at the Miso International Market when last there.

Tea’s aroma is of a roasted flavoring; like when out in the woods with open pit fire or the burning of woods. Tea is malty in taste and is full in body. Tea’s color is dark amber and one tea pouch can be reused for up to eight steeps.

Right now, I have one tea bag in my tumbler and continue to add (boiled) water that has been let to cool and I continue to refill my tumbler. Hopefully this will be my drink of choice for the rest of day.

This tea would be well accompanied with some of those rice snacks treats, unfortunately I have none and I am too far away from an Asian market to obtain some. Oh well, here is to wistfulness a bliss!

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 150 Fahrenheit
Time: 11:00 AM

Note: Water is cooler since I will continue to refill my tumbler throughout the day. I like to think of this way in having this tea as flavored water smelling very strongly of roasted pines perhaps. The flavoring of tea when cool is very formidable; similarly when hot. It is strong tea, nothing weakens it seem to stand each infusions with one tea pouch.