A review of Sencha Fuka-midori by Den’s Tea

Region: Shizuoka, Japan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup/leaf
Plucking Season: First Flush
Liquor Color: light green
Leaf Characteristics: Tea leaves are finely cut and smells soft and green; grassy outdoor like after having cut the grass. And there is hint of roasting smell when one opens the sealed bag of tea with leaves.

Once steep for few minutes the leaves smells of moisture, that greenish vegetable smell of steam cut green beans or broccoli. It is a sweet smell, very pleasant to the palate.

1. Steepings 2 good steeps

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 180 Fahrenheit
Time: 1 minute

Note: This tea’s aroma is wonderfully green veggies like. It has a delicate sweetness upon smelling and tasting it with a very mild astringency. Overall this tea has a flowery light aroma with a light green color.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 160 Fahrenheit
Time: 30 seconds to 1 minute

Note: With the water slightly cooler and shorter steep I find that the tea’s color is still a light green and creamy lightness in tasting of green veggies. This time there is hardly any astringency with this second cup. It is now a very pleasant tasting cup of tea.

I am looking forward to steeping the leaves a bit longer with the hope of getting that heady green veggie smell or that freshly raw melon dew aroma as the leaves settle at the bottom of my tea jug for this day.

Thank you, Den’s Tea for making such fine Green teas.