A review of Premium Blend of Orange Pekoe & Pekoe Cut Black Tea by Market Basket

Date: 09/19/2012

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

Note: I placed one tea bag in my cup and while the water is boiling I pour some of it into my cup and leave to steep for five minutes. I like that when pouring the water into the cup the tea color so very quickly; that golden amber color, very brightly brewed. The longer the tea bag is left in the cup the darker is the tea and this is normal. But since I am not adding sugar or honey to my cup of tea, it is not a good idea to leave it in longer that one should.

Tea taste strong like a black tea should taste, it is malt like with slight roast scent. Since it was steep longer than need be with no sweetener added it is mildly astringent, bitter even.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

Note: This time using the same bag and simply adding more water to my cup of tea I only leave it to steep for a few minutes and not longer. I did not want tea to be bitter and it is not. The color is much lighter as well but the aroma is not floral or roasted even.

This second steep is mildly aromatic and not astringent at all.

gmathis

Sounds like a good pantry basic!