A review of Matcha (Green Tea Powder) by Hamasaen

Region: Japan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup/ Tea powder
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: Green
Leaf Characteristics: Matcha smells very green, swampy wet rainy smells like dew. True scent/taste “umami” and marine algae smell.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 160 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

Note: The smell of this green powder is like being at the beach when the tide has come in bringing with it the green algae/sea weeds from the sea. It is fresh smelling and the color is a lovely frothy green color.

I purchased with this matcha, a small wooden spoon for measuring and to spoon it with. I cut open the package as instructed to do and opened the air tight pouch revealing a very smooth greenish powder that smells like the sea; sea breeze in fact.

I take one teaspoon of the powder and place this in my mug and add some already boiled water to into my cup, just fill halfway. I take the spoon and begin swirl the powder with the water until it dissolves. I made sure it is all smooth and frothy with none of the powder caked into the mug.

What we have in color is a lovely frothy green and looks very inviting. I take a sip and I met with the astringency of the matcha; it is not bitter but more like green veggies without salt or seasoning. I continue to sip the tea until the astringency is not as noticeable with the first sip.

Overall, this Matcha is smooth and rich in texture and does not need anything else. It is good to enjoy alone, with milk or as a cooking additive.

gmathis

I’m just curious—what would you make using plain “unflavored” matcha as an additive? (I’ve been reading all these rave matcha reviews lately and I’m getting quite curious.)

seule771

On the label it said: Use it as topping for ice cream or yogurt. Use as an ingredient for cooking and dessert.

Perhaps I don’t understand. I am no cook either.

seule771

I forgot to mention that I am trying to review inexpensive matcha so that when I review those fine matcha I can do justice to them; I hope. I have Stash Tea Matcha and it was fine; this Matcha is lovely, creamy frothy texture; great umami; mouth watering Matcha. so what am I going to do when sampling these other fine grade Matcha…go crazier/craziest. No, just honest review. I like matcha, so hopefully this will not change.

Do forgive my rants. I am not well.

gmathis

Your rants are just fine! My favorite little Asian grocery has some inexpensive matcha powder…I agree with you; a “just plain” one may be the best place for me to start.

seule771

My rants are not fine, but thank you for comment. I like your photo image and the name gmathis…one could politely rant on as well. But I will not. Bye!

Comments

gmathis

seule771

Perhaps I don’t understand. I am no cook either.

seule771

Do forgive my rants. I am not well.

Sterling, MA