A review of Magnolia Oolong by Tea Savant

Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaves
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: light amber
Leaf Characteristics:

1. Steepings: several good steeps, most impressed with 1st steeping because of the tea’s aroma is surprisingly very pleasant.

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

Note: I was so very happy when I opened the package finally. I found the sample received to be Magnolia Oolong. I have not had oolong tea for a long while. The little tea pouch has a clear plastic back and it reveal small pellets like leaves.

I decided to have a cup of this tea today and after cleaning my tea mug and warming it with warm water, I take one teaspoon of the tea leaves and put them in my cup which I than fill with the boiled water and leaving it to steep for a few minutes.

I am noticing the magnolia scent right away; it is a lovely bouquet. I don’t smell this from the package, it is when I remove the lid and see how the tea leaves have unfolded with the heady aroma of the magnolia (permeating the air) is so nice. I am thinking about some island in the Pacific since I think that is where magnolia flowers bloom. Anyhow, I scoop out the leaves from the cup and place this on a towel dish and take my tea over by the window to examine tea’s color which is lovely amber. I have a sip of the tea and another realizing that it is sweet and aromatic with a smoky undertone.

I find that the tea’s color and the earthiness smell in the cup makes me think of a pu-erh tea but it is oolong and so lovely.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 4 minutes

Note: I use the same leaves and pour in some more of the newly boiled water into my cup and leave it to steep a bit longer this time; a minute longer than before.

And the tea’s color did seem a bit darker and making it more smoky in the scent as well. Taste is still a clean, smooth and full bodied tea. I can see having this tea as an iced tea for those liking their teas cold. Since I prefer my tea hot it is exceptionally fine as is at this moment. I think the first cup was better since it was sweeter and not so strong in the scenting of the magnolia.

Overall, tea is a lovely amber coloring resembling at times a pu-erh tea with the earthiness in the way it tastes. I would recommend it as one to be made to drink throughout the day at leisure or after a heavy meal to wash it down with.

I cannot emphasize how pleased I am with the tea’s aroma; that floral bouquet to be found only in an island on the Pacific! Thank you Tea Savant for sending this tea sample to me.

I plan to order a sample of your orange oolong tea next. Happy teas!