A review of Matcha (Green Tea Powder) by Hamasaen

Date: 10/10/2012
Company: Hamasaen
Tea Name: Matcha (Green Tea Powder)
Tea Type/Varietal: Green tea powder
Region: Japan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ spoonful
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: bright green
Leaf Characteristics: the tea powder is a very bright green, that minty / misty green color and seems very smooth in texture.

Note: I decided to have a cup of this matcha this morning to load up on Vitamin C. I took one mug and add one teaspoon of the matcha into the mug and take the already boiled water pouring this into my cup and stirring it as I do this. Once I have added enough water I continue to stir it making sure all of the powder mixture has diluted.

Matcha tea has a unique aroma all on its own. Tea’s aroma is cleanly astringent; that marine algae with the ocean breeze nearby. Since I did not whisk the matcha there is no foam or frostiness in my cup. It is just green tea in truest form. I take a sip and another sip and as I swallow I met with the veggies taste of broccoli with a smooth and creamy finish. If I say cream of broccoli soup, I am exaggerating.

This matcha is not sweet/ as in sugary; it is plain and good for you. It has a vegetative quality that keeps true to what a matcha tea should taste like. One could go as so much to say it has not been tempered with.