A review of Tie Guan Yin (Oolong Tea) sampler by Zen Tea

Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: pale green
Leaf Characteristics:

1. Steepings I was able to get several good steeps out of the tea since it is so very mild. It really is a meditative tea to contemplate while drinking what this life has to offer perhaps.

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

Note: I received this tea sample from the folks at Zen Tea and it is a delight to finally be able to sample such fine tea. I cut open the tea pouch to find small pellets of leaves which smells very grassy. I take one teaspoon and put this in my mug and I add the boiling water into the cup and leave it to steep for only two minutes.

When I remove the saucer, used as a lid from the cup I find that the leaves have unfolded and as I scoop out the leaves, their color is green and the aroma that permeates the air is that of green leafy veggies. Once having scooped the leaves from the tea, I am now able to notice the teas’ color which is a very pale green color and the aroma is of veggies and green.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

Note: Using same tea leaves I steep this time for few minutes and the teas color is still a very pale green color. I must say it is one of the lightest tea color that I have come across. I scoop out the tea leaves and sip the tea slowly while trying to discern the taste which is very complex with a layered combination of vanilla, violet and orchid flavour.

I am sorry to say, I am not getting this at all. There is faintness of honey once one is passed the leafy/veggies and to finding the creamy smoothness of this oolong. And yes, one can say there is a slight orchid flavour.

I like this Tie Guan Yin and I realize I must experience it many times more to find the hidden complexity that’s offered.