A review of Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong by Verdant Tea

Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ 1 teaspoon
Plucking Season: Autumn 2011
Liquor Color: Golden amber
Leaf Characteristics:

1. Steepings I have been enjoying this oolong for most of the afternoon. I find the longer steeps to taste best for my palette. It is darkly roasted and raw tasting and there is a sweetness in the cup upon swallowing one sip into taking another sip.

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 10 seconds

Note: I take one teaspoon of the leaves and add into my mug and pour in the boiling water over the tea leaves. It seems to take color right away and removing the leaves, tea is light amber in color and the tea leaves are dark and did not unfurled much. The leaves smell wet and woodsy like…outdoor burning of wood kind of smell.

With only a ten second steep which to me is different since one must stand there and count to ten; well me anyhow. I know first of all, I like oolong so even if not tasting banana, or vanilla (there is slight hint, essence of vanilla bean) darkly it tastes to me and seems the tea could be smoother if steeped longer. Everything is faintly suggestive but nice.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes, then 5 minutes for the rest of afternoon drinking of this tea.

Note: I agree that this tea would make a nice iced tea. Unfortunately for me I like my tea to be hot.
I steep for minutes this time rather than seconds. With the longer steeps the tea’s color is darken amber with very strong woodsy aroma. An outdoor woodsy-ness, a kindling fire built and for the roasting of marshmallows perhaps.

This oolong I will have with dinner and I know it is a tea to be added to my wish list for obtaining a full bag and not just a sample since it was all that I could afford buying from Verdant Tea.

I am happy to say with the longer steeps I did accomplish to get the vanilla cream aroma, which came in to play again and again; and that caramelizing of the flavor as it mingles / lingers on the palette.

It is most interesting to note the difference in steeps of seconds where everything is hinted at…a suggested whisper that this tea has many potentials and when one steeps it longer there they are awaiting revelation and one of the essence that I discern is the vanilla bean or its liquid essence (burnt aroma with hints of spices). I did not get this with seconds of steeping. I am sorry, nose or experience not good enough perhaps.

I am in total agreement with this statement: This tea performs much better brewed in small quantities and resteeped many times.