A review of Yunnan White Jasmine by Verdant Tea

Region: Lincang Region, Western Yunnan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf:
Plucking Season: Spring 2012
Liquor Color: very light yellow
Leaf Characteristics: Silver Needle White tea, 100% bud material, picked and steamed, then allowed to dry with fresh jasmine petals changed out once a day for seven days to absorb full fragrance.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 175 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

Note: I use one teaspoon of leaves per cup of water and steep for 2 minutes with 175 degree water, and waited for the leaves to have sunk to the bottom of my cup. This is a lovely tea to view; the leaves open up but in small roll like since they are more like pods and there are small flower that floats atop of the water. The effect is kind of like in a pond…with some flowers floating on the water.

Tea’s color is most lovely, with this first steep, it is a lovely very light yellow and as I steep this tea a bit longer, tea’s color did brightened to a pale yellow, more yellow than white or that light green when first steep.

Throughout all of this description is the tea’s aroma and it is that of Jasmine, full of the fragrant perfume of Jasmine and there is not mistaking of this. And when tasted I did not like it since scent is too over powering.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

Note: I let the water boil fully and steep the leaves for the same amount of time as before. What I want is less of the jasmine fragrant and to just enjoy this very mild tea with its strong perfume. And with more water added the strong, heady scent of the jasmine does dissipate, allowing for a more sedate cup of this tea. And it is fine with me for now.

This tea has a heady floral bouquet and does make this tea reviewer think of a pond with lilies, and lilacs that floats about in the pond. I am not sure if the jasmine plant is one that floats around in ponds, but could as well be.

All of this is suggestive of another’s tea description by Verdant Tea, of which they stated: Shui Xian is a tea shrouded in mystery -its name is either a reference to a Taoist immortal, a spirit of the water, or the narcissus flower. This triple-meaning is fitting for the immense complexity and richness that the tea offers.

Anyhow, this imagery / description seem true of this Yunnan Jasmine Tea. I did view the silver white needles and the buds of the plant as well. This is a lovely tea and for me I must learn to appreciate the headiness of jasmine flower…made popular in China and is rich with antioxidants and vitamin C and to help sooth the digestive system, as this is the benefits I hope to obtain/gain when drinking this tea.

seule771

I am fortunate to still be amongst the like of Steepster folks and i am able to sample some of the finer teas; world famous like this Yunnan White Jasmine. I just want to say thank you to the Steepster community. Thanks!

Bonnie

I have some Shui Xian or what is often called water sprite.
Mine is in the shape of a green wrapped pillow too large to fit in a steeping basket. It tastes sweet and lightly floral. Very good tea!

gmathis

Steepies are great people!

seule771

This Shui Xian was small individual pods rolled up, they were not leaves and there were about two small flowers in the teaspoon I had today. It is nice tea; first you go woof this is powerful scent and after several steeps it is adjusted to enjoyable drinking for this reviewer. There is a simple science experiment students gets to conduct while in school science class: you take a bottle of ammonia (newly) and take it to class room and open it at one corner of the room and monitor how the scent/aroma/smell travels to the other end of the classroom. So when the bottle is first opened, the smell is strongest in that corner of the room and as it reaches the other end of classroom it is not as strong. I am not making sense; but when I was younger it was an experiment done for my science lab class…don’t remember much else etc. Consider this an analogy to the Jasmine aroma/heady scent.

I am not inviting explosive in classroom or suggesting harm. It is a heady with the fragrant bouquet of the Jasmine that is all. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am not always sure if sincere. My life has such turmoil; in knowing your place and playing dumb etc. I know nothing at times since some are deem to know just by ethnic makeup.

TheTeaFairy

What a beautiful review!

Comments

seule771

Bonnie

I have some Shui Xian or what is often called water sprite.

gmathis

Steepies are great people!

TheTeaFairy