review of Xingyang 2007 Shu Pu’er by Verdant Tea

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 180 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

Note: I don’t have fancy instruments for fixing this pu-erh. I opened the pouch sample and took one teaspoon of the tea and put it in my cup, adding the boiling water to it, I let it steep for several minutes.

I am always taken in by tea’s color and aroma in that I know if it is something that I will enjoy and indeed this would be the case with this pu-erh. It is a lovely reddish brown cinnamon color and I want to say more like stewed raisins or prunes when tasting of this tea. First sip is textural aspect of moisture/dampness reminding me of raw earthy wet ground and as I take in more of the tea I find sweet, savory, and distinctly warm sensation to ground the tea. I get a wonderful sea-salted caramel flavor on my palate with an earthy-sweet aftertaste.

It is good with multiple steeping; I simply add more water to my cup and let it sit, enjoying the tea hot always. I would say for me this tea is reminiscent of a cup of raisins/stewed prunes with the second steep and third being more-so. First steep is too musty and dampness in the taste to truly enjoy the tea.

It is an enjoyable pu-erh.