A review of Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea by Teavivre

Tea Type/Varietal: Oolong
Region: Taiwan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: a very pale yellow with first steep and with longer steeps tea color is darker yellow/peach in color.
Leaf Characteristics: Tea leaves are very finely crunched into tiny little stones and dark in color and when steeped the leaves are fuller and green in color. I should say leaves are full leaves and not broken.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

I steep this tea for two minutes in boiled water (after first rinsing the tea leaves and discarding of the water), I then pour more of the boiled water in my tea mugs with a cover on it. When cover is removed what is notice at first are the tea leaves since they are fully blown and the tea leaves are whole. It is amazing, these fine granules tea buds become full leaves when steep. Tea’s aroma is faint and light; nothing as striking as the leaves being fully evolved. I like the tea’s color although it is not bright. A paradox since it sounds as if I am not impressed as yet.

I taste the tea and thinking of its name milk oolong…and of something I had read about brewing oolong that are full-leaf; in that because they have such large, flat leaves, they can be steep for seven to ten minutes without turning bitter.

This much I can attest and have attested with the leaves being fuller. And the tea has not bitterness; it is very light/mild tea. This is something that I could drink throughout the day.

I am grateful for Teavivre for sending me more of these fine teas to sample. I am happy for the experience of sampling and reviewing of their teas. Thank you.