A review of Special Gunpowder China Green Tea by Temple of Heaven

Region: Shanghai China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: light yellow-green
Leaf Characteristics: Tea leaves are tightly rolled pellets and smelling of smoke…roasted scent and when brewed leaves a fuller and smelling of spinach. Actually when brewed they do look like a plate of spinach. The Chinese call these small pellets “Pearl Tea”.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

This tea I purchased during my visit to the Living Earth market in Worcester, MA. It was very inexpensive and a gem in a little box. When I opened the box I thought I would find powder tea; I was pleasantly surprised to see it was leaves medium-finely crunched.

I took 1 teaspoon of the leaves and put this in my cup and add the boiled water into my cup. I leave it to steep for several minutes; after sometime, I take the tea and spoon out the leaves; they are somewhat fuller and look like spinach.

The teas’ aroma is that of green veggies and smells mildly astringent; tea’s color is light green with a yellow base and with longer steeps the tea is a golden brown. Tea tastes mild and smooth with a nutty flavor. It only gets bitter when tea leaves are left for longer in the cup as I tend to do; from being lazy in having to remove the tea leaves.

I had read and heard so much of gunpowder tea that it was a treat to finally see it in a store and the pricing was right as well; I did wonder why it was so inexpensive however. It is a good cup of refreshing green tea and I am happy to finally have sampled and purchase it.

I am fortunate this year since I have been able to experience finer teas than before.

seule771

I submitted this review two months pass and someone likes it recently; I am odd aren’t I? Cold

Elizabeth

Hi! Well, I’m the new “liker,” and was happy to see that someone had reviewed this tea. I just found it at an Asian grocery yesterday, and brought it home. Looking forward to my first steep!