A review of Taiwan GABA Tea by Fong Mong Tea Corp.

Company: Fong Mong
Tea Name: Taiwan GABA Tea
Tea Type/Varietal: loose leaf
Region: Taiwan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ teaspoon
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: reddish brown amber
Leaf Characteristics: leaves look more like twig and finely curled leaves and are crunchy. When steeped the leaves are full and a brownish with hints of red; auburn in coloring.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

I take a heaping spoonful of the tea leaves and put them in my cup and add the boiled water to my cup; covering it for a five minutes steep time. When time is over, I remove the cover and scoop out the tea leaves. Tea is a lovely reddish brown color; glowing like in my cup and tea’s aroma is somewhat malt like with a roast/woodsy finishing.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

I have enjoyed having this Gaba tea and want more of it; so yes another cup; using the same leaves and steeping with hotter water for five minutes. I sip the tea while the leaves remain in the bottom of my cup. Tea is slightly smoky and roast like flavoring. I am enjoying this tea as there seems to be no way to have a bad cup of this tea. It is simply good tea.

I like the teas color that reddish brown which I had not notice before; and how light this tea is on the palette. Overall, this is grade A+ tea.