A review of Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong by Teavivre

Tea Type/Varietal: Oolong
Region: Alishan Nantou, Taiwan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: light amber with orange/yellow base
Leaf Characteristics:

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

I am happy to be having another of Teavivre tea samplers. This one is a milk oolong. I opened the foiled packet to find small pellets like of green colored leaves. I empty the packet into my cup and pour in the boiled water and placing a lid over my cup I leave it to steep for 2 minutes.

After the set time, I remove the lid to find the leaves have grown fuller and very green and tea cup smelling of greens and somewhat strongly astringent. I guess this is freshness and partly from the Osmanthus, I hope I am not reacting to it as I do Jasmine. I scoop out the leaves and the tea is a light amber color and when placed directly under the lights it is orange/peach like.

Upon sipping the tea which seems more astringent than I was expecting; tea seems kind of bitter and not sure why since steep time was very short. Perhaps from not rinsing or discarding this first brew, I am unsure.

I did finish the cup however, and added more boiling water over the leaves for another cup and still there is that slight astringency in flavoring.