A review of Taiwan Dong Ding (Tung Ting Oolong) by Teavivre

Company: Teavivre
Tea Name: Taiwan Dong Ding (Tung Ting Oolong)
Tea Type/Varietal: Oolong
Region: Dongding Mountain, Nantou, Taiwan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup / loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: pale yellow
Leaf Characteristics: leaves are fine pellets and when brewed with hot water they are full and plump…two leaves attached as nipped from tea bushes.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

I am having another fixing of this Dong Ding Oolong sent to me by Teavivre. I consider myself very fortunate since they sent me a very large sample bag filled with their teas many of which are the same like this Dong Ding sample. I open the small packet and empty half of it into my cup and pour in the hot water and leave it for a steeping time of 3 minutes.

The tea leaves are fuller and plumper; there are two leaves attached to a stem. As I scoop out the tea leaves I see as well that they are green in color and smell very green, I think of veggies. Tea’s color at fist was a light green but is actually very light yellow and when I sip this Dong Ding it is quite pleasing and smooth with slight dryness on the tongue, not when swallowed but as one roll and play about with the tea in the mouth. There is slight bitterness to it as well; I say bitter but it more of the drying effect of this oolong.

Overall, this is a good tea to have after a heavy meal since it is so very light on the stomach; tea seems to wash down a heavy meal quite well. As it is morning, I have not had a heavy meal, but I imagine as much.

Thank you, Teavivre for sending me so many lovely teas to sample and experience.

Bonnie

3 minutes seems LONG if you use a lot of leaf. I had this at a gonfu class last night and the steep time was 15 seconds. If you have more leaf you might get less bitterness if you cut down the steep time. The dryness was something I experienced also on about the 3rd or 4th steeping.