A review of Moroccan Mint by Whittard of Chelsea

Tea Name: Moroccan Mint
Tea Type/Varietal: Green
Region: Africa
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ tea leaf
Liquor Color: light green to light brown
Leaf Characteristics: fine tea leaves when steep resembles that of the Gunpowder green tea; the leaves seem to resemble them even curled/fried in pan etc.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 195 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

I took only one teaspoon for this cup of tea that I am having middle of day. The tea leaves smells wonderfully of the mint; I add the leaves (small pellets) to my tea cup and pour in the boiled water. I leave tea to steep for a few minutes. When straining the tea I am reminded of this Gunpowder green tea that I had since the leaves are fuller in my cup resembles/bunches up the same as the gunpowder tea. Anyhow, I strained the tea with strainer and take my cup of tea to sip and sip.
Tea has a lovely minty aroma that is most light and not at all over powering. It is as if drinking mint leaf tea but I imagine that the brew would be stronger. Instead this tea is smoothly rich and the spearmint is evenly distributed throughout the tea.

I like this tea just the way it is I would not dare add anything else. Sugar would be nice to those desiring more sweetness.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

I am able to enjoy another cup of this fine tea using the same tea leaves. Water is slightly cooler and I steep it longer whilst straining the tea leaves, tea’s color is a light brown with a minty aroma. When I sip of the tea it is mint and green tea with no astringency at all.

I had read from my Tea Chings book that “In Morocco, a traditional hot beverage was made from mint leaves; British traders introduced green tea in the nineteenth century. Today Moroccan tea is a blend of the two leaves; it’s served strong, minty, and sweet, poured in a thin stream from high above the table into small glasses.”—Ministry of Tea by The Republic of Tea

I am mentioning of this as reminder of how steep in history tea is; as one fixes a cup of tea, knows the land and customs where tea was fashioned after is good resource to know.

I like this tea very much. I mustn’t forget to thank those from an An International Tea moment for sending me some of their teas to sample.

Nicole

Thanks for the info on Moroccan tea customs! Very interesting!

Bonnie

I’ve had this type of Moroccan tea in San Francisco with lots of sugar. The pot is refilled and a big bowl of sugar is on the table to keep adding to the tea (it’s sweet when you first get it though). My Middle Eastern friends from Lebanon and Egypt drink this tea also, and I grow mint because I love to serve the tea in the Summer.