A review of Immortal Green Tea by American Tea Room

Region: Japan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: light greenish brown
Leaf Characteristics: the tea leaves are finely with bits of peaches and smelling of peach and Sencha green

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 175 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

I was sent this tea as part of sampler pack from An International Tea Moment and I am happy to say that all of the teas have been very good. The finest of quality green tea and this Sencha tea is a good way to end this journey.

Sencha is considered Japan’s most popular tea distinguished by its delicate sweetness and having a very mild astringency. Sencha teas are picked during late February in warm climates to the end of May in cooler climates and Sencha teas are high in vitamin C. –New Tastes in Green Tea by Mutsuko Tokunaga

I steeped one teaspoon of the tea for two minutes and strained the tea while taking in its intoxicating aroma…which is sweet and fruity peach and teas color is lightest green, light brown and when I sip the tea it is mildly astringent at first sipping but dissipates as I drink more of it.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

Using the same tea leaves I steep the tea longer and hotter and I find the aroma is more intense; the leave are small and plumper (with a light green color) and the aroma seems livelier. It is peach tea and I like this hot as most would enjoy it cool since it is peach tea making for fine iced teas. In fact this reminds of Den’s Tea iced peach tea that I enjoyed earlier this year. Both are Sencha tea and I think the peach freshness is equal as well. However, I seem to remember less or no astringency with Den’s Tea; and yet this tea seems sweeter. So how can that be?

In all this an exceptional Sencha tea; it is lightly smooth with very pleasant aroma of fresh peach. The tea is as sweet as it is astringent; sipping first the astringent and ending with a mildly sweet aftertaste. As teas is bitter there is the freshness of the peach for balance in taste and flavor.

I must again say thank you to An International Tea Moment for sending these my way. I have enjoyed having this experience serving as reinforcement in explaining why I like green teas.