A review of Tawain Jin Xuan (Milk Oolong Tea) by Teavivre

Tea Type/Varietal: oolong
Region: Taiwan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Liquor Color: light green
Leaf Characteristics: small pellets that bloom to fuller leaves when steep/immerse in hot water.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

I trying to finish some tea samples sent to me earlier in the year or several weeks ago; Teavivre had sent me a big tea packets and each time I reach in the bag I find a sample pack; this one I reached in for I had just the other day; I did not realize how many oolong teas were in this packet and some are the same 2 or 3 of the same kind.

I open and empty the pack into my cup and add the boiled water to it; I leave it to steep for 5 minutes and the teas’ aroma when done is definitely of milk; that honey dew quality and the tea’s color is a lovely light peach-yellow base.

I scoop out the tea leaves, noticing how fuller they are and plumper; they look buttery even. I take a sip of the tea and another and it is good for my palette. I continue to enjoy this drink until gone.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 4 minutes

I fix some more of the oolong tea using same tea leaves and this time that honey dew or cream of broccoli is most prevalent. Shorter infusion seems to bring out the softer nuances of this tea (buttery with slight peach flavoring) with no tartness as can be with unripe peach; I think if served cold this aspect would present itself in the tea.

This is for me a favorite oolong and I know it is one that I will return to time and again.