A review of Green Kick by Now Real Foods

Tea Type/Varietal: green
Region: Japan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ tea bag
Liquor Color: green
Leaf Characteristics: There is a mixture of three greens for making of this fine tea: Sencha green tea leaves, matcha green tea leaves, and green tea extract leaf.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 160 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

This tea is so easy to make considering all the good things to be found in it. I take one of the tea bags and put this in my cup adding some of the freshly boiled water in my cup as well and leaving it to steep for a few minutes.

Tea’s color is a soft green mint like color. Tea’s aroma is of fresh greens of cut grass. It smells fresh and clean and upon sipping the tea the astringency is there to sting on my tongue. I take several sips of tea and notice the tingling effect which in time becomes as familiar as waves lapsing on sand dunes. The astringency of the tea lingers on the back of throat when swallowed and leaving a sort of dryness wanting for more tea perhaps.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 170 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

I am having another fixing of the tea with water a bit hotter and timing for infusion is for a few minutes. The first infusion focused more on tea’s astringency; with this second cup of tea I am noticing the sencha blend of this tea with the matcha and how nicely they play well together. I want to say that the layering is that of sencha then the matcha powder kicks in for a smoother mellow cup of the tea. Why the sencha? The sencha gives the tea its color and somewhat of a grainy texture and the matcha acts as a coating making the tea more enjoyable. It is a smooth surface effect is what I mean to say.

I think this is a most unusual blending and it seems to work nicely. I would have thought it to be too bitter and harsh; but it is not that at all.

gmathis

I haven’t seen a review from you for a while—glad to see you back! NOW Foods is one of the brands our little import grocery stocks and their bulk teas are pretty tasty, too.