A review of Roasted Barley Tea by Nishimoto Trading Co, Ltd.

Company: Nishimoto Trading Co, Ltd.

Tea Name: Roasted Barley

1. Steeping:

1st Steeping:
Water Temp: 200
Time: 5 minutes
I have not had this tea for a long while. I actually thought I had finished the box. I was pleasantly surprised when cleaning out my tea storage to find the box of tea with several tea pouches remaining and I have been enjoying ever since.

Anyhow, this morning I fixed a large cup of this barley tea for myself and it is very hot and smelling strongly of the barley twigs like being outdoors with the burning of twigs nearby. It is a very strong roasted cup of tea.

2nd Steeping:
Water Temp: 200
Time: 10 minutes
This next steep is left for longer and the teas aroma is that much more powerful. You know the saying: ‘smokes gets in my eye’ well it is similarly so. The tea’s aroma is as pungent and strongly in taste; they equal each other. The tea is not bitter but woodsy and grainy in texture and taste. It is a full bodied aroma to make one think of having a cup of coffee when it is tea.

Overall tasting notes: This roasted barley makes for wonderful cup of fine barley tea with a robust kick in the taste. The tea’s aroma smell strongly of burn wood, that open pit fire in the deepest forest; like the smell of smoke from afar and somehow making one feel warmth and coziness.

Classification: Year, and region of production; Product of Japan

Cup’s characteristic: barley tea is very strong and woodsy (of burnt wood)

Liquor color: golden amber at times very dark cup of tea.

Taste: grainy in texture and very robust, and woodsy taste. It is an acquired tasteful cup of tea.