Review of 2011 Menghai Dayi (Tea Garden Tea) from China Cha Dao, Jerry Ma’s sampler

This sampler I received is a small crusty and partial cake like leaves tightly woven together. Its smell is of musty earth. I broke off about half of this and placed it at the bottom of the cup and poured the boiling water (200oF) into the cup and left to steep for five minutes.

In removing the lid, I can definitely smell its musty-earthy scented aroma in the cup and the color is a golden green. At first tasting I could not help but taste something like minerals in raw form: zinc or copper even, which is both thick and smooth to the palette with a rich flavor making me think of raw pineapple.

I do not think this is correct, yet that is what I smell or thinking of the smell…raw pineapple and it is heaven to me.

As this is a 2011 Menghai, which means “cooked” pu-erh tea, and since it is cooked, this is referred to as shou (cooked green tea), post-fermentation and good to drink at once.

The way one comes to know a pu-erh is to think of it much like wine vintage.

Classification: Year, and region of production; In that this Menghai Dayi is 2011, Yunnan, China.

Cup’s characteristic: Earthy and musty aroma rich in minerals like zinc, and copper.

Liquor color: Golden green

Taste: like raw pineapples

seule771

I could be imagining what I have experienced of this tea but description is as real as I tasted and the images conjured when I drank it.

I have been told that I hallucinate but truly drinking this tea made me think of pineapples and minerals like zinc…perhaps I lack minerals in my nutritional needs.
I am making excuse for this review, in that it was researched by me and I drink it.

K S

Try again with a much shorter steep time 10 – 45 seconds. Seriously. I used 30. You should be able to resteep 10-15 times. Use cooler water as well. I have picked up a coppery note on some of these samples especially in about the 8 steep.

K S

Correction I only got about 8 steeps out of this but I used only about 1/5 of the sample.

seule771

You are kind Kansas, Misouri.

I finished the last bit of this tea just this afternoon and there is definite sensing of sulfur and coppery elements. I still can’t stop thinking and smelling pineapple when I drink this tea. I cannot even say when last I came in contact with a pineapple but it is there.

I like this tea; I like what I have experience with it/in it.

Comments

seule771

seule771

You are kind Kansas, Misouri.

I like this tea; I like what I have experience with it/in it.

Sterling, MA