While I’ve certainly had Assam teas before as part of blends (breakfast blend bags, etc.) I’ve never had it as a “single origin” type, so I was looking forward to trying it.

My first experience with the tea wasn’t entirely pleasant, I steeped it for 5 minutes as per the instructions on the package, and the tea came out looking really dark, and had a very heavy feel and a strong, slightly bitter taste to start, becoming even more bitter as I finished the cup. The tea also had a pretty strong kick of caffeine and kept me up pretty late that night too. I clearly over-steeped. Woops.

My next attempt went a lot better. I cut the steep time to just over 3 minutes and the tea came out much better with a clear reddish brown look. It had a malty aroma and taste, even seemed to have a sweet hint of caramel. There was still a little bitter after taste towards the end of the cup, but nothing unpleasant.

I imagine this would go really well with milk so that’s up next on my tea to-do. _

P.S. – Ironically I had this tea in the evening. Will try it with a good hearty breakfast next time.