I had this iced today, it was one of the teas they had for the National Iced Tea day promotion. I’ve had this before, it has been in the sample pots on the counter at our store for awhile now. The samples generally have so much sugar in them that they no longer resemble tea and that was no different today. I was able to get my to-go cup without sugar, I was actually shocked that I was asked how I wanted it prepared. My previous experiences have been that they just load it up with as much German rock sugar as possible and I leave the store with something that resembles Kool-aid. They also didn’t make it seem like I was putting them out by asking for a cup to go, although no one in the store seemed to know about the promotion going on.

I understand now why they put so much sugar into this blend, without it it is mouth puckeringly tart from the hibiscus with just a hint of blueberry. After a few sips I decided this was probably best mixed with something else so I poured it into what was left of my Rishi China Breakfast tea that I had left the house with [it was roughly 14oz of each mixed]. It still has an overwhelmingly tartness from the hibiscus, but the black tea helps cut that a little.

I wish Teavana would cut back on the hibiscus in their blends, I would probably like them a lot more. Sadly, this is another Teavana tea that just isn’t for me.

I also wanted to mention that I had the most pleasant trip to Teavana to date. It was the first time I left the store and didn’t want to strangle someone. I’m thinking that our store has had a complete staff change, I didn’t recognize a single face when I went in this time and they were training 5 new people. Perhaps Starbucks is listening to all of the complaints, I know I’ve sent a few emails to them about this particular location.

Iced 6 min, 0 sec

I am always interested in swapping so if you see anything in my cupboard that you want to try just send me a message. Please keep in mind that I order most of my teas in sample sizes and may not have a lot to swap. I’m also trying to keep my swaps limited to one a month so I don’t break the bank.

My favorite tea companies to order from are American Tea Room, Butiki, Della Terra, Rishi, TeaVivre, and Verdant, however I am constantly lured away from my favorites by a good sale.

Ingredients I love in tea
rose, peach, oolong, osmanthus, vanilla, marshmallow root and peppermint

Ingredients I dislike in tea:
spearmint, chocolate, orange, hibiscus, sage and for the most part lemon.

Ingredients I’m on the fence about:
Pu-erh

I am a firm believer that sage only belongs in my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing and absolutely not in my tea.

Allergies

Zojirushi Water Pot, 4L
Libbey Country Fair drinking jars for ice tea
TeaVivre Travel Gaiwan

Rating Guidelines:

100 – 90: Pantry essential and some of my all time favorites that I can’t live without.

89 – 80: You’ll have a pretty good chance of finding this is my pantry on a regular basis, but it isn’t the end of the world if I run out.

79 – 70: I might consider restocking this at some point if the price was right.

69 – 40: Not undrinkable, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it again.

39 – 20: What in the world were they thinking? Probably still finished this just because I hate to waste anything.

19 – 0: Wow, that’s so terrible chances are pretty good I dumped it out and gave away the rest.

My current top five favorite teas:

China Black – Rishi Tea