Thanks again go to Angel at TeaVivre for providing me with these samples. So far I have really enjoyed everything she has sent me and have been constantly impressed by the quality of the teas. I’m also grateful that she included several sample packets of this particular tea because the first time I prepared it I discovered that I couldn’t taste a thing because my head was so stuffy from my allergies.

My first steep was a very pale yellow color. There was a slightly sweet yet mild vegetal flavor, but I didn’t seem to get much of the peony flavor that I was expecting.

That all changed on my second steep, the aroma and scent from this steep was lightly floral and the color deepened to a golden yellow. It was this steep where I can really taste the floral flavors from the peony, although they are still very subtle. One thing that I enjoy most about white tea are the subtle flavors that emerge around the second steep, although with this particular tea I had trouble distinguishing the flavors that emerged (this could just be a leftover problem from my allergies though). I was left with a vague sweet floral impression and this steep was noticalbly sweeter than the others.

With the third steep the tea headed back towards tasting vegetal, losing the floral flavors that I enjoy most about this tea.

With my last sample packet I increased my initial steep time to 1m30s, the second steep stayed at 2m and third steep was 2m30s. I found that the flavor was much more enjoyable for me that way and my first steep ended up with a less subtle flavor, my second steep stayed just how I like it and the third steep still had a stronger vegetal taste than I enjoy.

I am always interested in swapping so if you see anything in my cupboard that you want to try just send me a message. Please keep in mind that I order most of my teas in sample sizes and may not have a lot to swap. I’m also trying to keep my swaps limited to one a month so I don’t break the bank.

My favorite tea companies to order from are American Tea Room, Butiki, Della Terra, Rishi, TeaVivre, and Verdant, however I am constantly lured away from my favorites by a good sale.

Ingredients I love in tea
rose, peach, oolong, osmanthus, vanilla, marshmallow root and peppermint

Ingredients I dislike in tea:
spearmint, chocolate, orange, hibiscus, sage and for the most part lemon.

Ingredients I’m on the fence about:
Pu-erh

I am a firm believer that sage only belongs in my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing and absolutely not in my tea.

Allergies

Zojirushi Water Pot, 4L
Libbey Country Fair drinking jars for ice tea
TeaVivre Travel Gaiwan

Rating Guidelines:

100 – 90: Pantry essential and some of my all time favorites that I can’t live without.

89 – 80: You’ll have a pretty good chance of finding this is my pantry on a regular basis, but it isn’t the end of the world if I run out.

79 – 70: I might consider restocking this at some point if the price was right.

69 – 40: Not undrinkable, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it again.

39 – 20: What in the world were they thinking? Probably still finished this just because I hate to waste anything.

19 – 0: Wow, that’s so terrible chances are pretty good I dumped it out and gave away the rest.

My current top five favorite teas:

China Black – Rishi Tea