Thanks for this sample go to iHeartTeas for sending it to me and Frank (52teas) for emailing me brewing instructions on a tea that is 2 years old.

I decided right off the bat that I wasn’t going to rate this tea. I knew ahead of time how old my sample was and just assumed the quality may have suffered a little since it is so old. I did want to put my 2 cents in though.

Since the chances of coming across this tea again was unlikely I split my sample in two and steeped it two different ways.

First Batch (Frank’s instructions)
“I would steep it loose in a medium-large mixing cup full of boiling water for about three minutes, then pour it through a fine strainer or coffee filter into a gallon sized pitcher (or two 2qt pitchers), top with water and ice and serve.”

Since I divided my sample in two I followed the above instructions using half the amount of water, steeped in boiling water for 3 minutes, and poured though a coffee filter into my pitcher. I then topped with water and added a little bit of ice.

I thought this batch turned out a little watery, but then again, I like my iced tea on the strong side.

Second Batch (cold steep using aprox. 32oz of water)
I steeped this for about 4 hours before drinking it today. I like the way this turned out better using less water. Cutting the water in half gave me a much stronger tea which was more to my tastes. I never really did taste the plum, but that could just be due to the age of my sample. I did really enjoy the black tea base for this though.

Iced

I am always interested in swapping so if you see anything in my cupboard that you want to try just send me a message. Please keep in mind that I order most of my teas in sample sizes and may not have a lot to swap. I’m also trying to keep my swaps limited to one a month so I don’t break the bank.

My favorite tea companies to order from are American Tea Room, Butiki, Della Terra, Rishi, TeaVivre, and Verdant, however I am constantly lured away from my favorites by a good sale.

Ingredients I love in tea
rose, peach, oolong, osmanthus, vanilla, marshmallow root and peppermint

Ingredients I dislike in tea:
spearmint, chocolate, orange, hibiscus, sage and for the most part lemon.

Ingredients I’m on the fence about:
Pu-erh

I am a firm believer that sage only belongs in my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing and absolutely not in my tea.

Allergies

Zojirushi Water Pot, 4L
Libbey Country Fair drinking jars for ice tea
TeaVivre Travel Gaiwan

Rating Guidelines:

100 – 90: Pantry essential and some of my all time favorites that I can’t live without.

89 – 80: You’ll have a pretty good chance of finding this is my pantry on a regular basis, but it isn’t the end of the world if I run out.

79 – 70: I might consider restocking this at some point if the price was right.

69 – 40: Not undrinkable, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it again.

39 – 20: What in the world were they thinking? Probably still finished this just because I hate to waste anything.

19 – 0: Wow, that’s so terrible chances are pretty good I dumped it out and gave away the rest.

My current top five favorite teas:

China Black – Rishi Tea