Many thanks to Andrew at Simple Loose Leaf who provided me with a $50 credit to use towards their subscription service. This was the first tea that I was sent in my six month plan.

My first cup of tea was prepared at 208°F (3m), which is one of the preset temperatures on my water boiler. Initially I found the tea to be overly astringent while hot, much more so than I care to drink. I let the tea cool to room temperature and the astringency disappeared, leaving me with a nice strong cup of Earl Grey with a hint of vanilla peaking through. This will be my chosen temperature for when I want to drink this tea either iced or at room temperature because once it cooled I was left with a great bold flavor that I enjoyed, but none of the astringency that I found while it was hot.

Seeing that 208°F left me with a more astringent cup that I preferred I decided to drop the temperature down to 205°F (3m) for my next cup. This left me with a nearly perfect cup of tea. It had a bold flavor, similar to my previous cup, followed up by a hint of vanilla and only the smallest bit of astringency.

Check out the full review on my blog

If you’re considering an order with Simple Loose Leaf use coupon code NSYSELECTION25 to receive 25% off.

Oooh, I have this one coming too. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll remember to cool the water a bit.

I am always interested in swapping so if you see anything in my cupboard that you want to try just send me a message. Please keep in mind that I order most of my teas in sample sizes and may not have a lot to swap. I’m also trying to keep my swaps limited to one a month so I don’t break the bank.

My favorite tea companies to order from are American Tea Room, Butiki, Della Terra, Rishi, TeaVivre, and Verdant, however I am constantly lured away from my favorites by a good sale.

Ingredients I love in tea
rose, peach, oolong, osmanthus, vanilla, marshmallow root and peppermint

Ingredients I dislike in tea:
spearmint, chocolate, orange, hibiscus, sage and for the most part lemon.

Ingredients I’m on the fence about:

I am a firm believer that sage only belongs in my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing and absolutely not in my tea.

Cinnamon, Chocolate, Burdock Root, and Goji Berries

FORLIFE Curve Teapot, 24oz
Adagio ingenuiTEA, 16oz
Adagio Iced ingenuiTEA, 32oz
Zojirushi Water Pot, 4L
Libbey Country Fair drinking jars for ice tea
TeaVivre Travel Gaiwan

Rating Guidelines:

100 – 90: Pantry essential and some of my all time favorites that I can’t live without.

89 – 80: You’ll have a pretty good chance of finding this is my pantry on a regular basis, but it isn’t the end of the world if I run out.

79 – 70: I might consider restocking this at some point if the price was right.

69 – 40: Not undrinkable, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it again.

39 – 20: What in the world were they thinking? Probably still finished this just because I hate to waste anything.

19 – 0: Wow, that’s so terrible chances are pretty good I dumped it out and gave away the rest.

My current top five favorite teas:

China Black – Rishi Tea