drank Gyokuro Imperial by Teavana
1940 tasting notes

Tea #4 from Considering a new TTB
I’ve been wanting to try teavana’s higher end offerings and I’m pretty curious as to how this stacks up agains gyokuro from other companies. At 19.98 per 2oz it’s already nearly twice the price of the gyokuro I order from another company and didn’t resteep nearly as well, which in and of itself is a reason why I would be unlikely to purchase it. I did enjoy the flavor, it was mildly vegetal, slightly sweet, and a little buttery. I can see why it is offered by teavana, it’s the type of green tea that will appeal to many people because it lacks the overwhelming vegetal flavors of many other varieties, but I just can’t get past the price.

I’ll still stick to ordering from Yunomi for my gyokuro, but this is a tea I would pick up again if it were on sale.

ouch, that is pricey!

Short Sorceress

Gyokuro in general is pricey, some of the higher qualities run $15 or more per ounce, but absolutely worth it if you enjoy that type of tea. I just don’t think this particular gyokuro is worth $10 per ounce, that’s twice what the standard grade gyokuro from yunomi fetches and it resteeps much better.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Yep, and I love the standard Gyokuro from Yunomi, so it is worth if for me to get good Gyokuro for a steep price than just ‘eh’ Gyokuro.

Comments

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

ouch, that is pricey!

Short Sorceress

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

I am always interested in swapping so if you see anything in my cupboard that you want to try just send me a message. Please keep in mind that I order most of my teas in sample sizes and may not have a lot to swap. I’m also trying to keep my swaps limited to one a month so I don’t break the bank.

My favorite tea companies to order from are American Tea Room, Butiki, Della Terra, Rishi, TeaVivre, and Verdant, however I am constantly lured away from my favorites by a good sale.

Ingredients I love in tea
rose, peach, oolong, osmanthus, vanilla, marshmallow root and peppermint

Ingredients I dislike in tea:
spearmint, chocolate, orange, hibiscus, sage and for the most part lemon.

Ingredients I’m on the fence about:
Pu-erh

I am a firm believer that sage only belongs in my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing and absolutely not in my tea.

Allergies

Zojirushi Water Pot, 4L
Libbey Country Fair drinking jars for ice tea
TeaVivre Travel Gaiwan

Rating Guidelines:

100 – 90: Pantry essential and some of my all time favorites that I can’t live without.

89 – 80: You’ll have a pretty good chance of finding this is my pantry on a regular basis, but it isn’t the end of the world if I run out.

79 – 70: I might consider restocking this at some point if the price was right.

69 – 40: Not undrinkable, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it again.

39 – 20: What in the world were they thinking? Probably still finished this just because I hate to waste anything.

19 – 0: Wow, that’s so terrible chances are pretty good I dumped it out and gave away the rest.

My current top five favorite teas:

China Black – Rishi Tea