drank Captain Mal by Custom-Adagio Teas

First thought upon opening the bag: Oh god this SMELLS. It was overpoweringly strong to the point I wanted to gag.

Steeping it now… 2 teaspoons.

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste because I didn’t want to immediately spit it out. I was expecting something truly horrifically over-flavored given the heavy scent. It’s drinkable – barely – though why I would want to is a whole other question. I can’t concentrate on the flavor too much. The flavors just do not work together for me, and the tea feels faintly oily in my mouth, which isn’t terribly surprising given how heavily scented it was.

Dear self: You don’t need to prove your Browncoat cred by buying and drinking tea. Just rewatch the entire series a few more times. You don’t have all of The Hero of Canton lyrics memorized yet.

I’m a tea-aholic. I’ve always loved tea. It is soothing and warm and comforting. I always had it when we went out to eat as a child so my first association is with rich and delicious food.

As an adult, I’m learning to enjoy tea on its own merits, and bask in its subtleties and varieties. The ritual of making a cup of tea is instantly relaxing.

I prefer oolong and white teas, followed by greens, and then blacks. For the most part I do not like flavored or blended teas, and I never add sugar or cream to tea from the actual tea plant.

I’m slowly learning to appreciate rooibos blends, which I drink for its anti-inflammatory properties.

Silver Spring, MD