It is autumn, though it may not feel like it outside. The weather was nippy earlier this week and I was looking forward to enjoying some fall teas in actual fall weather. The chill did not last, though, it’s cold enough in my office that I’m going to pretend.

This was a sample I got from Den’s Tea when I ordered their $3 green tea sampler. I love hojicha – it is a strong savory tea. I normally buy it from the Asian market for cheap. Den’s hojicha was everything I already loved about hojicha magnified. The roasted flavor comes right on through. It brews dark, a lovely chocolate color, with a taste to match. SO GOOD.

I’m a tea-aholic. I’ve always loved tea. It is soothing and warm and comforting. I always had it when we went out to eat as a child so my first association is with rich and delicious food.

As an adult, I’m learning to enjoy tea on its own merits, and bask in its subtleties and varieties. The ritual of making a cup of tea is instantly relaxing.

I prefer oolong and white teas, followed by greens, and then blacks. For the most part I do not like flavored or blended teas, and I never add sugar or cream to tea from the actual tea plant.

I’m slowly learning to appreciate rooibos blends, which I drink for its anti-inflammatory properties.

Silver Spring, MD