After weeks of drinking darker tea, I decided to return to this Oolong for the first time in several months. Besides, I need to make room for the new Spring picking.

The first infusion was very sweet, with a faint hint of pepper (or some other type of spice, as I still have trouble identifying exact flavors) present. There was also a delightful aftertaste that was a bit buttery that lingered on the hard palate for a very long time. It actually lingered so long that I couldn’t help but take another sip before it had faded completely. I’m really excited, and can’t wait to see how the tea develops.

The second infusion was exquisite! The creamy buttery flavor has really developed well, and there is a very interesting spicy taste (probably the saffron mentioned in the description, but I’ve never had saffron, so I can’t be certain). The aftertaste has become a bit smoother, but it’s still quite hard to describe. Regardless, I will certainly be taking my time sipping this tea. It would be a shame to drink it quickly and fail to enjoy the delightful flavors.

The third infusion was still buttery, and the spiciness has come along nicely, but the tea has developed a very pleasing characteristic: It’s like is is more thirst-quenching than it was before. The website describes this as the juiciness of biting into a fresh peach, but that just doesn’t seem right to me (and not just because I loathe peaches. Blech.). Anyway, the aftertaste has actually developed a bit, and it actually takes a few seconds before you can taste it on the hard palate. I’m actually glad that I’m re-tasting tis tea, as I really appreciate the way it develops now.

This tea just continues to develop so nicely! The main change this time is that there is a hint of grass in the flavor of the tea. It is by no means the dominant flavor, but it is certainly something that I didn’t notice last time I made this tea. The other amazing this is that the aftertaste still lingers for over two minutes, something that I’ve never come across before.

The final infusion was generally marked by a weakening of the flavors present. Other than that, it was pretty much the same as the previous infusion. Overall, I’m glad that I re-tasted this tea, as it is certainly better than I remember. Now the question is if this is because I’ve gotten better at tasting, or if it is actually better now…

Regardless, I’m going to miss this tea when I finish it off, and I will definitely be ordering the spring picking as soon as it’s gone.

Spoonvonstup

I really enjoy the "stay tuned: next time on… " nature of your reviews.

Joshua Smith

Yeah, I do that because the details start to fade after a bit, so I like to record each steep as I’m drinking it. If you look at some of my other reviews where I didn’t have time to do a play-by-play, you’ll see how they’re a lot vaguer because of this. Also, I’m glad that you like my review, and I hope that you find them useful

Comments

Spoonvonstup

I really enjoy the "stay tuned: next time on… " nature of your reviews.

Joshua Smith

I am a university student, studying Computer Science, who found that I really enjoy a nice cup of tea. I finally got into loose-leaf tea in August of 2011. I am currently in the process of expanding my horizons, and have found that I have a particular fondness for Oolongs in general, and Wuyi Yanchas in particular. The unique mineral taste is very appealing to me, as well as a nice Sencha. More recently, I’ve developed a taste for Sheng puerh, white tea, and black teas. The only things I’ve tried that I didn’t like was Shu puerh, but that might have been because it was quite young. Regardless, I’ve been slowly expanding my horizons, so if you have any recommendations, please feel free to send me a PM.

Just for the heck of it, my other interests include classical musics (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Debussy, Shostakovitch, Rachmaninoff, Liszt, and Wagner, to name a few composers). I also have a fondness for a bit more modern music, like The Beatles, all Jazz (by all, I really do mean all), Gorillaz (I love Demon Days), and a couple of Indie artists you will never run across unless you play a lot of semi obscure Indie games. Also, I love cats.

Fairfax, VA