drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

Wow, this is such a unique tea, like no other black I’ve had before.
The dry leaf smells heavily of chocolate and raisins; so delightful that it took me many minutes to get my nose out of the pouch and proceed with the brewing. The brewed tea has an aroma that I can’t put a name on, but if I close my eyes, I see corn fields and sun. It is very calming.
The flavor is malty, getting sweeter with each subsequent infusion – I’m on my 6th now, and it is still amazing.

I must say that there is a complexity in this tea that has effected me in a way that few teas have done. It’s not a simple tea and one that I feel deserves, even requires, a more in-depth observation. I usually don’t drink the same tea each day, however I have been drinking this one for three days now, and no end yet planned. I am greatly enjoying my sessions with this tea.

I have also noticed that most people have done very long infusions (a few minutes), whereas I have been having this gongfu in my pretty little gaiwan, lots of leaf and very short infusions. I’m wondering if I’m missing out on something by not doing a very long infusion, however I am so enjoying this tea my way that I don’t wish to waste the little leaf I have.

Well done Laoshan ! (and Verdant Teas too, for bringing us this tea).

Geoffrey

I always brew it gongfu. The best way to appreciate this tea in my opinion. I tried it long-steep in a brew basket one time, and it was certainly good, but not as interesting for me as enjoying it over the course of 10+ steepings in a gaiwan. With this one I like to increase the time of each steeping by 5-10 seconds, so by the tenth steeping I’m usually infusing for about a minute or more. At that point, in late steepings, I like to coax as much as I possibly can out of the leaves by letting it infuse for 3-5+ minutes. Just when you think it’s done, it will yield up to a few more really nice infusions this way. My favorite black tea! Glad to see others appreciating it. Cheers!

ssajami

Yes, I know what you mean. Having tea in a gaiwan is an experience, almost feels like a dialog, between me and the tea. It’s a slower process, it requires my attention. Not to mention the nuances in flavor that I get this way. I use the brew basket for other blacks, yes, but not this one. This one I will not waste, but have in the manner that gives me the most joy.
I’ve not had a black that was so complex, usually find that complexity in pu erh.

I had about 7or 8 infusions yesterday but after reading your comment, was inspired to try to get a few more. Wow. I left it for about 2 minutes and it is still giving up that wonderful flavor. This is quickly becoming my favorite black tea too.

Comments

Geoffrey

ssajami