I have terrible luck with dessert teas, particularly those that involve chocolate. I’m a sucker for anything that claims to taste like cake or a truffle, and am inevitably disappointed upon steeping. I didn’t have high hopes for this one, but it was on sale and I figured that, if I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t be wasting that much money.

Dry, this smells sweet and fruity — like a rich, crumbly fruit tart. Steeped, this tea has a ton of floaties (yuck!) and a dark purple-pink color. It still smells very desserty, but the fruit is much more prominent here than in the dry leaves. It has a very fruity, almost sour taste to it. As the cup cools, the chocolate becomes more prominent, balancing out the sourness from the fruit.

I’m impressed! A chocolate tea that doesn’t completely miss the mark on chocolate taste!

I became interested in tea spring 2013, when some friends of mine brought me to a local tea shop. I’ve been experimenting since, and am absolutely in love! I am especially fond of blended teas, and I’m a sucker for gimicky flavors.

My cupboard is stocked with a lot of DAVIDsTEA at the present, although I do have a few teas from some local shops. I’m looking forward to branching out and trying teas from different vendors and shops. Let the journey begin!