drank Litchi by Hazo

I recognized the powdery sweet, fruity smell of lychee when I sniffed the dry leaves (we’ve gotten them in the store where I work at in the past, so I know the smell, although I’ve never tasted one before so this will be new for me).

The smell transfers to the brewed tea, although there’s also a somewhat green smell as well.

Huh. The taste is very unique. I’ll have to buy the fruit one of these days. The black tea taste is there, but so is a sort of sweetness from the fruit. It’s very interesting. I can’t really pin down the taste of the lychee, mostly because I’ve never had the fruit (I decided to take a chance when I bought this tea). There is, though, something about it that reminds me about Marco Polo. I wonder if that includes a bit if lychee in it then.

There is a touch of dryness on the tip of my tongue when I sip, and then a burst of perfumyness before the black tea taste, and then a bit more perfume in the aftertaste. But not a floral perfume. Hmm.

I like it, but not enough that I think I would get it again in the future. I find that it is a bit watery (I did three teaspoons to two cups of water), so maybe I’ll try a bit stronger next time.

I added a bit of white sugar to my next cup (I usually add honey, but it seemed like it might overwhelm this flavour), and I think it does bring out the lychee slightly more. I added milk next, and it’s actually quite nice with milk. I didn’t think it would be able to stand up to it, and although I lose a lot of the tea flavour, the lychee is definitely more noticeable now. And it reminds me even more of Marco Polo.

Overall, quite enjoyable, although I want to test making it stronger next time. It’s light and very nice with a bit of sugar and milk.