Ok. Lost my post 2 times now. Starting to go crazy. Here’s the gist:

I wandered into the grocery store looking for Tazo’s Rest, but couldn’t find it, so I settled for this despite previous negative experiences with Yogi teas. When selecting bedtime teas, I usually go with blends that contain valerian root, which this doesn’t have. Plus, I don’t even like rooibos, but here I am, tempted by the promise of caramel.

I gave it the full 10 minutes, as the packaging says to steep for 5-10. The tea brewed up to a dark ambery brown, like black tea, and reeked of chamomile. To be short, it doesn’t taste like vanilla or caramel. The main flavors I detect are chamomile, rooibos, nutmeg, and cinnamon. This is followed by that general “Yogi” herbal taste that I’ve noticed in everything I’ve tried by this particular brand.

As far as herbal effects go, I do feel a bit of a sleepy, comfortable feeling. I can’t tell if it’s the placebo effect or not, but I do feel more relaxed and ready to fall asleep. It’s not as strong as Yogi’s Bedtime (which contains valerian), but it still has an effect. Maybe I’ll steep two bags at once next time and see what happens.

Boiling 8 min or more
gmathis

No licorice-y taste? (That’s what pretty much turned me off with Yogi blends altogether.)

Auggy

Have you tried Stash’s Mellow Moments? It doesn’t have valerian but for some reason it just knocks me out and it has a nice minty flavor which seems unusual in the help-you-sleep herbals I’ve seen. I haven’t tried Tazo’s Rest, but I’m with gmathis on the Yogi stuff – they like licorice too much!

Tabby

No licorice in this one, but it still tastes pretty unpleasant. And no, Auggy, I haven’t tried that one yet. I like mint, so maybe I’ll give it a try! My grocery store carries a lot of Stash’s teas, so maybe they’ll have it.

Comments

gmathis

Auggy