My friend gave me one of these to try. He said he found it at the Asian market, but he wasn’t very specific. I can’t say I’ve seen it at the one I frequent.

Now, when I open the foil, I realize this isn’t a traditional tea. It’s instant. There is no tea bag, no loose leaf to be found here. Just tiny brown granules. Honestly, it looks like fish food… not the flakes, more like the kind you feed to bettas. However, it smells delicious. The scent is like maple syrup. It makes me want French toast or pancakes. There’s also a nice spicy scent of ginger. I have a feeling I’m going to like this.

The instructions say I can add hot or cold water, so I went with hot. (There’s still snow everywhere here in Atlanta, after all.) As soon as the water hit the granules, it darkened to an almost coffee-like color. Very dark and with a strong gingery aroma. I didn’t add any sweetener because the package listed honey and glucose in the ingredients. I figured it would be sweet enough anyway.

Good lord! This is some strong stuff! Maybe I didn’t add enough water. It says 220ml and I used a regular sized mug. I know this mug holds at least 8 or 9 ounces, which is more than 220ml. So this could be what it’s supposed to taste like – so much ginger that it burns. It is pleasantly sweet, and you can definitely taste the honey. The brown sugar rounds out the ginger a little bit, adding its addictive syrupy taste. This would be so good if I had a cold. I can imagine it would work wonders for the sinuses. Maybe I’ll add a box of this to my medicine cabinet.

Flavors: Honey

Boiling
gmathis

Very cool! I’ve never seen anything like you’re describing before.

Yvonne

Hmm, different! Can’t say I agree with teas that are pre-sweetened with sugar, though.

Tabby

This one isn’t overly sweetened. It’s not like soda-sweet. But I understand. It’s better to be able to do it yourself.

OMGsrsly

It is supposed to burn! I love it. So nice when I’m sick and don’t want to make it fresh.

pyarkaaloo

i love how the scent is maple syrup & the color is coffee-like! syrupy & spicy? gahh sounds so decadent.. thanks for your review, now i totally have to try this!

Comments

gmathis

Very cool! I’ve never seen anything like you’re describing before.

Yvonne