This is another sample from a friend that picked it up at the Asian market. He said a lady shopping in the same aisle recommended it.

It smells kind of exactly like I expected. Like tree bark. Wood chips, or paper, sort of. Or cardboard. The instructions said to give it five to ten minutes, so I went with 7:30 since that was in the middle. I’ve never had a tree bark tea before, so I at least have a new experience to look forward to. As I read up on it, I see that it’s also apparently good for your blood pressure? At least that’s what some companies are claiming. Also, Yogi uses it in one of their teas. Hmm.

The brew comes up to a brownish gold one would expect from a milder black tea. It still smells like wood, but it’s not as harsh in the steeped tea. The flavor is surprisingly not unpleasant, just new and a little strange. It almost tastes like black tea. It’s hard to describe. I guess this sort of tastes like tree bark.. it’s mild and kind of reminds me of the smell of wet paper towels and printer paper. Or a book. You know, that’s sort of what this tea tastes like – drinking a book.

Flavors: Wood

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Oh man, that tea sounds delicious for a Chinese Herbal Medicinal tea…usually those taste so nasty.

Tabby

That’s what I hear! I’m a little afraid to explore that genre of tea for that reason.

seule771

Are we to say that bark taste is unlike twig taste in tea since Hojicha tea is twig tea and is very nice with a smoky aroma. I equate such teas with those who enjoys a good smoke. Mind you I have never smoke. I like roasted and almond like teas; yet I prefer green tea.
Don’t hate me

Comments

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Tabby