I am thrilled to get to try my first yerba mate today! I opened the package to peek and sniff last night, and was reminded of a pleasant green tea, just in a different sort of consistency.

Anyway, the taste is unfamiliar and interesting, and yet, it still tastes a lot like green tea. I assume that’s because of the way it was cured. It has a certain spiciness to it, and a taste that reminds me of green leaves. Something about it sort of reminds me of peppers, but not in a hot way, more like the way a pepper tastes on the inside. It’s not like tea exactly, but similar. I like it.

I used a teaspoon and a half to make one mug’s worth. Not really sure if that’s the proper amount, but it seems right. Now that I’ve reduced it to dregs at the bottom of the cup, I’m starting to notice the famous yerba mate buzz. It does feel a lot like caffeine, but without that “I’m going to have a panic attack” feeling. I feel stimulated and a perkier, ready to tackle all the mundane stuff I have to do today before I leave for vacation.

So curious about Arbor’s other yerba now… hmmm.